Use of treadmill and elliptical during pregnancy
Exercising has always been beneficial in all the stages of our lives, to stay fit and healthy. Exercising is advised during pregnancy not just to keep the expectant mother fit but it is equally beneficial for the baby. In order to reduce the labor pains and for experiencing healthy delivery, it is important for the pregnant ladies to exercise on moderate resistant levels.
During pregnancy, mild workout on treadmill and elliptical is useful in maintaining body weight. If you are confused whether or not to use elliptical and treadmill during pregnancy, the below given information will surely prove to be beneficial.
1) Due to the low impact nature of elliptical, these machines are considered to be highly safe for most of the people. This implies that these machines are made in such a manner that it prevents injuries such as knee, ankle, back or joint pains. This rules out the confusion and therefore use of elliptical is considered to be safe for pregnant ladies, averting any kind of stress or pressure on their womb and uterus.
2) Treadmill like horizon treadmill and elliptical come with an option to lower down the resistance levels in case the lady feels exerted or tired. It not only keeps your body in shape, but also activates the body enzymes necessary for the growth and nourishment of the baby.
3) Elliptical are also known to take care of your heart. These are designed to provide cardiovascular motions to the body, which in turn is greatly beneficial for the pregnant lady. A pregnant lady should keep in mind that her body temperature should not raise while working out and she should keep her pace normal. This is so because the body temperature can gradually cool itself in 5-7 minutes but the baby inside your womb may feel uncomfortable. So one should be very cautious about maintaining the pace while doing workout on elliptical and treadmill.
4) It is a proven fact that working out on treadmill and elliptical burns out calories and expand oxygen levels, more than any other machine. Elliptical workouts at a lower resistance levels helps in a faster recovery after the delivery. Elliptical machines are designed in such a manner that is ensures natural body motions such as walking, climbing, running, strengthening muscles and reducing joint pains, which are very important for the expectant mother.
5) Doctors advise pregnant ladies for physical workouts not only to maintain their weight but also to induce flexibility to ensure easy delivery. While on elliptical like bowflex max trainer, a lady can keep a track of her heart rate because these machines come with a feature of an LED screen that monitors the heart rate and displays it in true sense. If the heart rate goes up to 140, make sure to get down from the machine as it can be harmful for the baby
The above points justifying the use of treadmills and elliptical for the expectant mothers can be summed up as follows:
a) Option to provide low impact workouts
b) Induces flexibility and hence useful in safer delivery
c) Effective in cardio vascular activities
d) Control excessive weight gain during the course of pregnancy
e) Resistance levels can be altered according to the body capabilities