Water in the ear is a very common problem that anyone can encounter with. Water comes inside the ear when you swim, take a bath or shower. Ordinarily, the water will drain out on its own because the wax appears in the ear canal blocks fluid from moving deeper into the ear. However, fluid can actually get trapped within the ear which will cause irritating sensation followed by pain and hearing ability reduction.
Hearing loss, cyst formation, eardrum infections and other obstacles are the severe consequences caused by the trapped water inside the ear if left untreated. Therefore, it is pretty significant to get rid of the fluid in the ear as soon as possible.
Firstly, you need to locate where the accumulated fluid is (middle ear or outer ear). In case, it is in the middle ear, you must see the doctor as soon as possible. If not, the accumulated fluid in the outer ear can be home treated.
Below are several home remedies to drain the water out of the ear.
- Use gravity as a support to remove water.
- Incline your head on one side as long as the affected ear is parallel to the floor
- Put the palm of the hand facing the affected ear and press vigorously for a few seconds.
- Remove your hand quickly. This will form a temporary vacuum to suck all the fluid out of the ear.
- Keep doing it until you feel better.
- Use a cotton ball to absorb the extra fluid.
2. Valsalva Maneuver
Implementing the Valsalva maneuver will push your ears to open the Eustachian tubes and flush water out of your ears.
- Close your mouth while nipping your nostrils, and then take a deep breath.
- Gently exhale by your nose to circulate the air pressure. If performed correctly, you will hear a popping sound which means the Eustachian tubes is opened again.
3. Blow Dryer
A blow dryer is another solution for fluid trapped inside the ear to quicken the evaporation of the water. The warm air from the dryer will vaporize the trapped fluid and eventually will drain out of the ear.
- Drag your ear lobe away from your head
- Place a blow dryer roughly ten to twelve inches away from your ear.
- Set the dryer heat to the minimum level.
- Turn on and target the dryer directly into the ear canal.
- Put the dryer in position for about 30 seconds.
- If needed, repeat again.
4. Rubbing Alcohol and Vinegar
Whereas the antibacterial attributes of vinegar will eliminate germs in the ear, rubbing alcohol drains the water out of the ear.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of alcohol and vinegar together.
- Using a dropper, apply 2 – 3 drops into the afflicted ear.
- Clean the ear canal mildly.
- Leave it be for 30 seconds.
- Incline your head so that the water can easily dislodge
5. Heat therapy
Heat therapy is one of the most efficient methods to get the fluid out of your ear quickly.
The heat press will unblock the Eustachian tube (where water often builds up); therefore the fluid can be dislodged easily.
- Steam will open the Eustachian tube, in turn supporting dispense of water trapped in the ear.
- Pour boiling water in a large bowl.
- Wrap your head in a towel and grasp the steam slowly about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Incline your head to one side. Water will be removed easily.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is another powerful and practical choice to eliminate water in the ear. Thanks to its effervescent characteristic, hydrogen peroxide can smoothly make the trapped water as well as ear wax and detritus from the ear canal.
- Using a dropper, take about 4 – 5 drops of the 3% hydrogen peroxide and apply it into the afflicted ear.
- Leave it to cool down for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Tilt your head on one side to have the fluid diminished easily.
Salt is another effective treatment for the fluid in ear since it can efficiently absorb water.
The fluid will be evaporated, and the pain will be soothed due to the warmth from the hot salt.
- Using the microwave to reheat the ¼ cup of salt.
- Place the salt in cloth and knot it tightly.
- Put this cloth beside the opening of the wounded ear about 2 – 3 minutes.
Another ideal and efficient treatment for dislodging the fluid in the ear. Besides, owing to its antibacterial properties that will avoid the ear infections and cut down the pain as well.
- Extract the juice from the cloves of garlic
- Apply 2 – 3 drops of garlic juice in the affected ear
- Leave it be for one minute, and blow dry the ear (as blow dryer remedy)
9. Olive Oil
Olive oil is another practical method to ease the flow of trapped water. Moreover, its antiseptic attributes will lower the danger of ear infection.
- Gently reheat olive oil in a small cup.
- Using a dropper, put several drops of that olive oil in the ear.
- Leave it for about 10 minutes.
- After that, tilt your head on one side and use a soft ear bud to expel the oil and the water.
Two to three drops of olive oil in both ears before swimming can be very helpful in lubricating the tissues lying in the ear canal as well as avoiding water being trapped in the ears.
Jelly Jeff is a senior editor of AuthorityRemedies; that a website which is specialized in providing natural home remedies, tips and also nutrition facts to improve the well-beings. She is a nurse, but she keens to explore nutrition and fitness. Also, Jelly loves writing and doing research. She appreciates being a good writer in nutrition.