Keep Your Digestive System On Track This Holiday Season
In fact, a recent survey from The Dannon Company shows that 93 percent of Americans agree that digestive health is closely linked to our overall well-being. However, while many understand the importance of good digestive health, some may not always know the simple steps to keep their digestive system on track.
- Have a “happy hour” snack!Before heading out to a holiday party, enjoy a nutrient-dense snack about a half hour before you go. Snacks like low-fat or non-fat yogurt can offer probiotics, protein, and Vitamin D, plus it’s convenient and easy to eat on the run.
- Incorporate healthy bacteria into your diet: by seeking out products with specific benefits, such as certain yogurts containing probiotics, which can help to regulate the digestive system. Factors such as stress, lack of sleep, antibiotics, illness, aging, and poor diet choices can often lead to an imbalance of your digestive tract bacteria.
- Work from the inside. The digestive system is where vitamins, nutrients, and minerals are absorbed, so it’s important to take good care of it. Eat a variety of produce, stay hydrated and add probiotics (found in foods like certain yogurts) to your diet for your digestive health and overall well-being.
- Hydration, hydration, hydration: After overindulging, it is absolutely crucial to keep your body full of fluids. Water is one of those essential elements for a healthy digestive system. Adequate hydration gives your digestive system the proper moisture it needs to properly function.
- Stay active: Exercise can help create a healthy digestive environment by allowing food to move through the large intestine much quicker, which also decreases the amount of water lost in the stool. Intestinal muscles that contract during exercise also contribute to the more efficient movement of stools…