How to Overcome Heartburn Problems Naturally
How to Overcome Heartburn Problems Naturally
One important thing that you need to know about heartburn is that the condition has nothing to do with the heart, as it is a digestive problem. The condition is also referred to as GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease or acid reflux disease. The condition normally occurs when hydrochloric acids from the stomach regurgitates back to the esophagus. Because of this, the sensitive lining of the esophageal tract becomes inflamed and irritated, thus giving rise to a heartburn attack. One major factor for the condition is poor eating habits but it could also be triggered by obesity, mental stress, and smoking or as a side effect of certain medications.
How to Eliminate Heartburn Naturally
Various natural substances are readily available to help you deal with heartburn conditions. However, these natural substances should be accompanied with some lifestyle changes. Here are some tips on how you can relieve discomforting heartburn symptoms naturally:
- Drink Water: When you experience heartburn at night, the best way to relieve it is to consume a glass of water. This can help dilute the acid in the stomach and flush the acid off of the esophageal tract. For quicker relief, you can add at least two teaspoons of baking soda into the water. This will provide a neutralizing effect on stomach acids, thus relieving the condition instantly. However, the intake of baking soda should be avoided if you are suffering from high blood pressure or if you are a pregnant woman.
- Take Vinegar: Although apple cider vinegar has acidic contents, it is still effective against heartburn conditions. Just add two teaspoons of vinegar into a glass of water and take a sip. For better results, it would be best to consume the mixture along with your meals.
- Watch Your Diet: There are certain foods and beverages that can also trigger heartburn attacks. These include citrus fruits, spicy foods, garlic, chocolate, alcoholic and caffeinated beverages and tomatoes. However, if you can avoid these foods or eliminate them from your diet, you can easily improve your heartburn condition and reduce the frequency of attacks. There are some people who consume milk during a heartburn attack. But take note that it can only provide temporary relief against the condition, as milk can also trigger heartburn attacks.
- Change Your Eating Habit: If you are suffering from heartburn, make sure that you do some changes in your eating habits. Consuming heavy meals should be avoided as much as possible, as these can trigger heartburn attacks. When you eat, make sure that you maintain proper posture to prevent stomach acid from flowing back to the esophagus. Consume your dinner at least two hours before going to bed to make sure that the food is properly digested before going to sleep.
How to Eliminate Heartburn during Pregnancy
Heartburn attacks are very common in pregnant women. Instead of consuming OTC medications for heartburn, especially during the course of pregnancy, it would be best to opt for home remedies. For heartburn during pregnancy, here are some effective home remedies that you can opt for:
- Almonds: Chewing almonds each morning can provide relief against the burning sensation that you are experiencing on your chest due to heartburn. However, make sure that you chew it thoroughly before swallowing or it could result to adverse effects.
- Ginger: Ginger has amazing health benefits and this can be taken in different forms. You can opt for powdered ginger, fresh ginger or pickled ginger depending on your preference. Whenever you are experiencing heartburn, chewing on ginger can provide relief, as it can relax the esophageal tract and ease discomfort.
- Herbal Tea: Various herbal teas like aniseed and peppermint are great natural remedies against heartburn as well. These are helpful in eliminating excessive stomach gas and flush out harmful toxins from the body. Simply take a cup of tea with honey every morning to prevent heartburn attacks.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Lots of people would also consider aloe vera as one of the best home remedies for heartburn, especially during pregnancy. Aloe vera can provide a soothing effect against the irritating and burning sensation caused by the condition. You can simply consume two teaspoons of aloe vera juice or extracts each morning to prevent heartburn attacks. However, make sure that you avoid consuming this without having your breakfast.
These natural remedies can help you alleviate the symptoms of heartburn and prevent the condition from recurring. However, in case you are experiencing severe heartburn conditions, it would be best to consult your physician for medications or other treatment options for your condition.